Available CPE: 4hrs
This Capital Project Construction Auditing training session has been uniquely developed to provide valuable knowledge, tools, and skills internal auditors can apply directly to their work. The course content is presented to attendees through a combination of speaker presentation, real-world case studies, and specific examples aimed at reinforcing key concepts.
At this session, attendees can expect to:
- Learn the importance of construction audits on their organization's capital projects and the impact they can provide in regards to cost recovery as well as process and procedural improvement opportunities during the construction process
- Gain an understanding of the key risk indicators, including contract type and construction delivery method in determining the level of risk for the organizations current and upcoming construction projects
- Participate in a high level walkthrough of developing an audit plan focused on key and high risk areas, which are vulnerable to cost overruns or fraudulent activity and the remedies for minimizing these risks in the future
- Gain insight and see firsthand the common issues seen in construction contracts and projects so auditors have a head start in recouping funds owed to the organization.
The agenda for this event includes the following:
- What is construction audit?
- Construction statistics
- Why is construction auditing important to internal auditors?
- Variations of construction audits
- Types of construction contracts and associated risks within different industry sectors
- What to look for during a construction audit -High-risk areas and common issues
- Examples and case studies
Who should attend this session?
- Internal Auditors, Managers, Directors, and Audit Executives
- Financial professionals working in FP&A or capital project management
- Contruction project managers seeking a greater understanding of the audit process and insight into internal auditor perspectives
- Certified Internal Auditors (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE), Project Managent Professionals (PMP) and other certified professionals
Speaker - Matt R. Gardner, CCA, CICA
Matt is the Practice Leader for Construction Audit Services for HK and will be involved throughout the engagement with detailed review and abstract of contract documents, risk analysis, development of audit program, field work, and reporting.
Matt has significant expertise managing a wide variety of private and public companies in the risk advisory suite of services. This includes managing and performing cost recovery engagements for various colleges and universities, healthcare companies, the World's largest retail organization (Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.) and several other Fortune 100 companies (Walgreen Co.), throughout the US, Mexico, and Europe. After starting his career with a Fortune 50 company, Matt has since spent the last several years as a construction audit specialist primarily focused on leading construction engagements and providing related guidance to clients across several industries which include colleges and universities, healthcare, retail, manufacturing, entertainment, and transportation.
Matt earned a Bachlor of Science in Finance from Saint Louis University. He is a Certified Construction Auditor (CCA) and Certified Internal Controls Auditor (CICA). Matt is an active member of both The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) and The National Association of Construction Auditors (NACA).
Monday, September 16, 2013 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Central Standard Time
450 North Cityfront Plaza Drive, Chicago, Illinois USA
Last date for Registration
Thursday, September 12, 2013