This course, provided by the Foundation for Accounting Education (FAE) meets the New York State (NYS) four-hour ethics CPE requirement in general studies and gives you a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts underlying your ethical responsibilities and increases your awareness of critical standards and regulations. FAE is an affiliate of the NYS Society of CPAs.
The course focuses on NYS Education Law, Rules of the Board of Regents, and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, but also addresses the Professional Code of Conduct rules of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants.
· Enforcement of rules on ethics
· The AICPA ethical standards – Code of Professional Conduct
· The new Conceptual Framework included in the revised AICPA Code of Professional Conduct
· The role of the Office of the Professions
· NYS rules on ethics (as provided in NYS Law, Rules and Regulations), including but not limited to:
- Retention and maintenance of work papers
- Competency requirements for attest and compilation services
- Reportable events
- Commissions and referral including mandatory disclosure
- Comparing and contrasting the State and professional societies’ rules on ethics
- Failing to maintain an active registration when using the title of designation
· Public expectations of CPAs’ responsibilities
CPE credits for the Ethics requirement for CPAs will be provided through the FAE. To ensure proper credit, you will be requested to provide your CPA license number at the attendance desk. CPEs for attendees holding certifications other than CPAs will be provided by the Long Island Chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors.