President’s Message – April, 2013
Hope you are all doing well! I have a number of items for you this month, so here goes…
Last Chance to Register for our April Fraud Training Event!
Please register no later than 5pm Monday April 8th for our Fraud Training Event this next Friday, April 12th.
- We have some great speakers lined up. The FBI, Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement, Fishnet Security and Accretive Solutions will speak on a variety of fraud topics ranging from Cyber Security, Corporate Fraud, Behavior, Forensic Investigations to even a chat with a Social Engineer and Industrial Spy!
- Once again, we will be at the Hampton Inn Oceanfront in Jax Beach with lunch out on the deck (weather permitting).
- Attendees will receive 6 Hours Florida CPE, breakfast, lunch and some great training! Cost is $150 for members of the IIA, ISACA, ACFE or AFWA.
- For more information and details on how to register and pay, please go to https://chapters.theiia.org/northeast-florida/Events/Pages/NE-FL-Chapter-IIA_All-Day-CPE_Fraud-and-Human-Behavior.aspx.
We had a great turnout for our March 28th social at the University Club. At the social, we awarded the Chapter’s first academic scholarships in quite a few years!
- Dallas Doane from Jacksonville University and Stephanie Galarneau from UNF each received a $500 scholarship from the Chapter.
- Many thanks to our Academic Relations Committee – Van Seaton (Chairman) from Jacksonville University and Jeff Gleason from Winn-Dixie – for designing and managing the application and evaluation process. We plan to continue and possibly expand our scholarship program next year – please let us know your thoughts and suggestions!
- The Academic Relations Committee (and your humble President) will also be visiting Jacksonville University’s Accounting Club later in April as part of the Chapter’s academic outreach. Wish us luck!
Please Mark Your Calendars
Please mark your calendars for Thursday, May 16th from 6 – 8pm for our second annual Chief Audit Executive Panel discussion and dinner at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Jacksonville. This was one of the Chapter’s highest attended and most well-received events last year. For this year’s panel, we will be focusing on personal career management, leveraging the experience and advice from our CAEs. Please be on the lookout for the meeting invite later this month.
Have you Purchased…
…a Full CIA Learning System since June 1st, 2012? If you or your department did, please let us know by sending an email to me at my email address below. The Chapter receives CAP points for each set purchased. The Chapter recently achieved Silver status with the IIA and we might have a very good shot at Gold so every point matters! Thank you in advance for responding.
Florida Chapter Rate Extension for the International Conference – Closing Soon!
Please remember the IIA International Conference is in Orlando July 14th-17th, 2013. The IIA has extended the special discount to Florida chapter members, but that extension is closing soon!
Look forward to seeing everyone at our April Fraud training event!
2012-2014 NEFL IIA Chapter President
Vice President of Internal Audit Services – Interline Brands