IIA San Jose Chapter Presents:
Internal Audit Communication Skills
October 11, 2013
Brocade HQ | Building 2, IMC 1&2
130 Holger Way, San Jose, CA 95134
Seminar Focus Areas:
- The four communication skills you must master – right now (and how to do it)
- How to present and sell your ideas to managers
- How to conduct a 'Better Behavior Campaign' during every phase of the audit process
- How to pre-frame management's thinking at the audit announcement
- How to lay the groundwork for change during the kick-off meeting
- How to conduct audit interviews and present your recommendations during the audit – so that managers take action immediately
- How to write reports that generate action (and make the managers happy to be mentioned in the report!)
- How to get managers to think the corrective action was their idea – even if it isn't!
- Customized case studies designed for small work groups
- Heavy emphasis on opportunities for individual participant and small group role play practice and feedback (from participant peers and the instructor).
- Detailed written checklists for participants to take back and use on the job
- Example script to use at the beginning of audit kick of meetings, during interviews and at the audit closing meeting
- Short lectures to explain the tactics included in the materials
- Individual and small group brainstorming throughout the seminar
Participants will learn:
- Why more effective audit communications start with us – not them
- Why even the most concerned managers will resist change
- Why difficult managers are allowed to stay that way
- Specific steps to use on the job to better sell your ideas and increase the likelihood of action
- The communication, interpersonal skills, and behavior modifications we need to make so that management will respond
- How to make positive behavior change 'stick' - in ourselves and others
John Hall is the founder and President of Hall Consulting, Inc. and the author of the award-winning book “Do What You Can! Simple Steps – Extraordinary Results”
John specializes in skills training programs and conference presentations for management groups, internal auditors, CPAs, and professional associations. He also coaches business and audit professionals in how increase their effectiveness, clarify and meet their business and personal goals, and move their career forward.
Mr. Hall has 35 years of experience as a consultant, speaker, auditor and business owner. He has worked in senior leadership positions in large corporations and international public accounting firms. He is a member of the National Speakers Association, the American Institute of CPAs, and the Institute of Internal Auditors.
Seminar Cost & CPE
The all-day seminar early bird price is $275 per person for IIA member and $295 for non-members. The early bird price expires on September 30th, 4pm, after which the cost will be $295 for non-members and $315 for non-members. Please register at https://internalauditcommunicationskills.eventbrite.com/
The training starts at 8:30am and ends by 5pm. It includes a light breakfast, lunch and snack.
For this training, we do not offer the retired or students discounts. However, group discounts are available. For every 5 registered attendees, you can get the 6th member for this training free of charge. Please provide the names to our Treasurer, Sandra Koning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8 CPEs will be provided to each participant upon completion of the seminar survey.