In today’s “Big Data” world, high performance data analysis software is helping auditors increase the scope and impact of their audits. But, more often than not, the ability to leverage “Big Data” can come with a big price tag. What if you could gain similar value just by using your existing end-user tools more creatively? In this interactive session participants will work through case studies that apply common spreadsheet and database tools to complex audit questions, from data exploration and analytical steps to summary of conclusions. Participants may find value in bringing a laptop or tablet; however computers are not required for the session.
- Through interactive discussion, and on screen demonstration participants will examine common spreadsheet and database tools.
- Participants will be able to evaluate whether common spreadsheet and database tools can add value to a particular audit.
- Using example data, participants will be able to create valuable analysis using common spreadsheet and database tools.
Eric Van Tongeren is an Internal Audit Manager at Meijer, Inc. and has been working in the accounting and information technology world since 2003, running the full spectrum including tax, assurance, and accounting software consulting responsibilities. Currently Eric focuses on both financial and technology controls to ensure the company is best aligned for success in the face of existing and future threats. He first gained knowledge in data exploration as a support specialist for customers of a popular ERP system, and has since championed the advanced use of those same analytical tools to drive risk-based testing in his audit methodology. He has also previously served as a senior at BDO in the assurance practice and has held CPA and CISA certifications.
7:30 AM - 8:00 AM - Light Breakfast and Registration
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM - Presentation and Q&A
The registration deadline is Friday, Sept 23rd. To register, click the register button below or email the chapter Secretary, Katie Boelema (firstname.lastname@example.org
) with your name, company you are with, and member number (if applicable).
Cost to Attend and Payment Information:
The cost is $20 for members and $25 for non-members and $5 for students. Payment is required for attendance. Please wait for confirmation that your registration has been received before submitting payment via one of the following methods:
- PayPal - Credit card payments can be submitted prior to the day of the event using the payment buttons below.
- Cash or Check - Payment can be brought to the event or mailed in advance to the Treasurer, Kristen Potts. Please make checks payable to WMIIA. Checks can be mailed to:
Western Michigan IIA
Kristen Potts - Confidential
c/o Salvation Army
PO Box 2603
Grand Rapids, MI 49501-2603
If you would like to be invoiced prior to an event please email an invoice request to email@example.com detailing your name, all participants for whom the invoice should include, and a mailing address.